Not all young people with ADHD have all of the symptoms. Below are some things you may find challenging.
- Problems paying attention (inattentive)
- others think you are forgetful
- you are easily distracted, for example by a door banging
- you find it more difficult than others your age to concentrate
- you have difficulty organising yourself, for example getting out the door in the mornings
- you have difficulty listening, for example focusing on what your teacher is saying or struggling to follow instructions
- Problems sitting still (hyperactivity)
- you feel restless and fidgety
- you are full of energy, and always on the go
- Problems controlling impulses (impulsivity)
- you do things without thinking
- you struggle to wait your turn, for example in a game or in a queue
Each of these challenges can also be one of your strengths. For example, being hyperactive may also mean that you are energetic and enthusiastic.